Tuesday, April 19, 2011

GERD

Where to start?

Monday morning at 4am, Collin woke up choking on his own spit-up. We attributed that to his cast being too tight, so we made a plan to go to Dr. Sims to get his tummy cut out again. At 6 I gave him his normal bottle and he proceeded to projectile vomit all over his room and me. They aren't kidding when they say projectile. I got everything cleaned and then worried that maybe he had caught the stomach virus that was going around Mimi's last week. Les met us at Dr. Sims' office and they cut the cast up his tumble and flared it out. They also assured us that on Friday he will mold the cast to give room for his tummy to expand and grow. Les got the rest of the day off and Collin kept down pedialyte and then formula starting in the afternoon.

He slept 10-6 this morning and I had to wake him up at 6 so he could eat and I could make sure he kept it down. He did great and barely spit up at all. Mimi texted me during the day saying he was choking on his spit up and still spitting up a lot. I called the pediatrician to see what I needed to do and they wanted to see Collin.

A few hours later, we took him for his appointment and he was diagnosed with infant GURD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease). The plan is to change formulas to Enfamil AR and take Zantac. If the formula doesn't help, then we can try going back to Similac Sensitive with rice cereal to thicken it up. We also need to elevate his head when he is asleep. We are also supposed to elevate his feet (from the blue swelling issue) obviously we can't do both, so we have to try to prop him slightly turned to the side to sleep. If that doesn't work, then Dr. Young and Dr. Sims will have to work on a solution. If that doesn't work, we would go see a pediatric gastroentarologist in Lubbock. I'm sure I spelled that wrong.

So we should see improvement in the next 2 days, but then of course his next closed reduction surgery is Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment