Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"I don't know where you would get one either..."

Day 4 and I am losing patience.

We had a carseat lead yesterday. Britkare told me they had hippo carseats and I needed a prescription and once my insurance approved it, I could get the carseat. Well, I call them today to make sure they faxed the prescription to Dr Sims and of course they got too busy yesterday. I pointed out that was an inconvienance because they aren't in the office today because it's a surgery day so that's 2 wasted days. Of course, they said they would work on it immediately. Immediately does not put a carseat in my hands now, so not good enough. Especially if that was it. The carseats they have are already rented out. One person I guess reserved it a while back but never picked it up. They called her to tell her someone else needed it so she needed to go get it if she still wanted it. Of course, she went to get it. Te second one is with someone they can't get a hold of and who has had it for a long time and they are supposed to be short term. Supposedly they are going to send someone to try to get it back, but I'll see it when I believe it. So now we are back to square one where they can order one. Wonder how long it will take to get that?

Les' dad thought he had a lead on a pediatric home health place that is located in Dallas, but happens to have an office in town. They offer DME equipment to a 270 mile radius around Dallas and Randall County. Random!!! I thought this was it finally, but of course when I called they do not offer car seats for children in spica casts. They even punched me in the gut further and said, "I don't even know where you could get one either!" shockingly, one of Les' teachers at school has a 2 year old who severly broke her leg over the weekend and was put in a spica cast. Maybe we can help each other out!! Les was going to email her (she's in OKC with her family).

Next frustration: parking lots. I will be the first to admit I get ticked off when people don't park well and have often intentionally parked very close to people in a lot to show my irritation. I will never do that again now that I have Collin. It is absolutely the hardest thing when you are by yourself putting a baby in a car seat with someone parked so close you can't even open your car door all the way. This has happened on several occasions and each time I just feel so flustered. It's hard enough putting a baby in a carseat, let alone a baby in a body cast!!! So my plea to you is please think of others and the fact they might have a baby and it is hard to deal with carseats, so don't park super close to someone!! I know I won't anymore.

Collin slept better last night. I think he did 4 hours on his back in his bed and woke up just once for a feeding and a diaper change. He has been very fussy all week so far and I've been attributing that to his cast. I still think that's the case, but he has been running a low fever (between 99 and 100.2) and sleeping a lot today. We are keeping a close eye and we have plenty of Tylenol if it gets worse. It could be his cast is just making his body warm too. So many changes.

Nana came by and spent the day with us and brought Collin some more clothes. She took us to Baker Bros for lunch and I again realized how wonderful the Baby Bjorn is with the cast.

So now that we are a half a week into this 12 week process, this is my list of necessities in case someone is starting this process new. Trust me, it is something you learn to figure out quick!!

Spica Cast Must-Haves for a 3 month old:
Hair dryer (cool setting only) for drying out the cast when it gets wet (notice I said when, not if)
Lots of wipes
Newborn and size 1 diapers to stuff inside the cast
Size 2 diapers for the outside of the cast (to hold the inside ones in and help contain leaks)
Bean bag since the cast sits so no bouncer or swing accessibility
Lots of blankets used for upper back and head support, prop up toys on bean bag, warmth on cold days
A spica cast car seat (Britax Hippo)
Scissors to cut diapers that go inside so they can be stuffed easier
baby Bjorn because thy can't fit in travel system carrier or sit up unassisted
9-12 month onesies to go over cast
Bibs to control spit ups and protect cast (once the plaster gets wet it breaks down fast, even if it just got damp)
Patience!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment