Monday, March 14, 2011

Super Mom!

Today I played the role of Super Mom!

After a horrendous night, where Les and I both only got a good 2 hours of sleep (if that)...

I woke up bright and early (and throwing up my breakfast, go figure!) to take Collin to see Dr. Sims to get his arm checked out. Remember, the iv leaked the medicine into his tissue and it caused swelling. It was a fairly daunting task because Les had to go to his rotation, so I was on my own. It's tough without the car seat carrier and we hadn't figured out the Baby Bjorn yet. Anyway, his arm looked good and there was no dead skin cells, just bruising, which of course is what we wanted. I mentioned that I thought a part of his diaper area seemed too tight and he took a look and agreed, thankfully. It has seemed to us that it might have been causing his tummy to hurt and maybe messing with his bowels. Ken, his assistant, came in with a bunch of metal pliers, scissors, and some other tools. He twisted and bent and cut the plaster until Dr. Sims was satisfied that it was giving him enough room now. I was so thankful they agreed it was too tight, it seemed like Collin got happier right away. He surely didn't like the cutting process, but afterward he stopped crying instantly.

While I was waiting for Dr. Sims, I had an email from my mom saying that she had called one of her friends at Britkare and they had spica cast carseats available at their new rehab equipment center off the E-Way. This was great news!! I stopped by on the way home and gave them our insurance information and told them to file it with Dr. Sims, who I then called to tell them to watch out for a prescription fax for a car seat. I had mentioned car seat safety to Ken, and he recommended just putting towels in a convertible seat to prop him up... but that's what we have as our temporary fix and it just doesn't seem safe enough to me. It might be a couple of days, but it looks like a definite car seat!! Even if the insurance doesn't want to cover it, the price to rent is not bad at all. Great news indeed.

Les came home for lunch and we ran to Taco Villa because we didn't make it to the store yesterday. He then worked on figuring out the Baby Bjorn and as it turns out, Collin just barely fits with the cast. We also cannot put him in the recommended way, so it's kind of a 2 person job... but it sure is a lot easier than carrying him when we go out and once he is strapped in, it's safe for him.

After Les went back to class, Collin and I took a nice long nap on the couch. It was good to see him getting back into his daytime routine. I noticed that he was still spitting up a lot when he was eating, and I still was bothered by it because it definitely was a new thing since having the cast on. I noticed  Anyway, I called the pediatrician again and again explained that he had a spica cast (a what?) a spica cast put on Friday and ever since then has been having a a pattern when I feed him  that he will drink one oz and burp fine, then drink another oz and spit up almost all of what he already ate. Then he would drink a third oz, and play with the last oz continuing to spit up for quite a while. (I stopped breastfeeding about a week ago. Can you imagine trying to do it with that cast?) They wanted to try a new sensitive milk-based formula, so they held a bunch of samples for us to go pick up this afternoon. Collin and I passed time by playing in his activity gym. I learned that he likes to lay back more if he is propped up on his Boppy.


When Les got home again, we went to the pediatrician and picked up the formula samples and then headed to do our grocery shopping. I wore Collin in the Baby Bjorn as we shopped and people were not shy about comment about how cute he was!! I still can't get over the stares from people who don't say nice things though. That will take some adjusting.

All in all a good day and hoping that tonight's sleep schedule works out a little better than last night. He seems to be startling less during the day, so hopefully he is feeling more comfortable and getting used to his new way of life for the next 12 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment